Monday, 1 September 2014

Sunday walks and vanilla frosted banana cake


My perfect Sunday consists of  having a lazy breakfast in my cosy PJs and baking something sugary and delicious.

So, this Sunday I got out my cookbook and whipped up the tastiest banana loaf. Ever. Complete with vanilla buttercream frosting, naturally. The recipes from these Hummingbird Bakery seem to turn out perfectly, every time (so far!) and are super easy to follow (always a win). I can now confirm that there is undoubtedly nothing better on a warm, Sunday morning than the smell of sweet, sticky banana cake filling your home. You can get in on the action and purchase the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook I swear by, here. They seriously have the best cake and cookie recipes I have come across!

I also picked up a few home accessories yesterday; with autumn creeping closer, some new Yankee Candle Tarts were a total must and they have some incredible scents released for autumn 2014. My favourite of the bunch so far is Silver Birch. This is a really crisp autumnal scent, not the spicy, sweet scents that you would usually expect from an autumn release but a really fresh, clean cut, woody scent. I am a huge fan of the Yankee Candle Tarts, as they give you the chance to switch up the fragrances and find your favourites without committing to a large candle. They have also an extraordinary scent throw which literally fills the room with fragrance in next to no time. 

For the rest of the afternoon, my boyfriend and I took a long walk beside some gorgeous local corn fields in the warm afternoon sunshine. We collected some dried wildflowers and grasses along the way, to create an autumnal flower arrangement in our living space. When I was younger I would often collect dried grasses and flowers with my step-mum at the start of autumn; so it was lovely to recreate the arrangements in my own home. This is a very simple and easy way to bring the feel of the seasons into your home, they are a such a brilliant alternative to shop bought, fresh flowers at this time of year. Just ensure you aren't picking any that you shouldn't!






Although I will miss the idyllic warm evening walks and colourful summer produce, I am really looking forward to autumn and the fragrances, pumpkin spice lattes and cosy atmosphere that accompanies this time of the year.

What are you looking forward to this autumn?

No comments:

Leave a thought

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS