Wednesday, 10 December 2014

Clementines, Cinnamon and Christmas chit chat


December is here and my home and life is beginning to feel festive...






With this year being the first time ever of celebrating Christmas in my own home, I wanted to make sure that I made my home super cosy and festive for December. I decided that rather than the usual jolly, gaudy red and green colours that we all associate with Christmas, I would decorate in a shabby chic, home-made and rustic theme. 

My pine cone garland is from Sainsburys which has a brilliant selection of decorations this year at equally brilliant prices. I also picked up some fairy lights, a wooden star and a rustic willow star hanging decoration to place in my window. 

Clementines are traditionally given at this time of the year and they are one of my favourite fruits, so I have been picking lots of these treasures up during my food shop! They look so festive too with the leaves still attached and of course, they taste amazing. Lebkuchen spiced cakes have started to become available in the shops now and this makes me so happy as these spiced treats are another winter favourite of mine. The scent of clementines and spiced treats always reminds me of Christmas time.

Christmas and winter is the perfect time to spend quality time with close friends and family in the warm; I have definitely been making the most of this. Nights in with nibbles and drinks are always fun and even if you don't have a roaring open fire, tealights in pretty holders dotted around the room instantly create a warm and cosy atmosphere. Puff pastry cinnamon rolls are something I have been making recently as they are so simple, delicious and of course, very festive. The scent of cinnamon and brown sugar is another festive scent that I adore and are a perfect sweet snack to offer guests.

A good Christmas book is always something I pick up this time of year, last year it was "I heart Christmas" by Lindsay Kelk and this year I have picked up "Christmas at Rosie Hopkins sweet shop" by Jenny Colgan. I have read several of Jenny Colgans' books and enjoyed them so I hope this one is just as good a read as last years. I like an easy read at this time of the year; one that I can just pick up on a whim and settle into, as and when, on winter afternoons.

What have you been up to so far this December and how are you preparing for Christmas?

2 comments:

  1. So far I have put up decorations in almost every single room of the house. I have been so stressed with my school work this month has gone SOOOO quickly. I'm sure Christmas will feel like its come in no time for me haha


    I wrote about christmas lipsticks on my blog: rimmelsmudge.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/christmas-lippies.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous little cutie at the end there, hehe! ^__^
    Oh your photos are so pretty, everything looks so festive :)
    I've only just put up our Christmas tree tonight, but very happy to be getting in the spirit.

    Hope you have a gorgeous Christmas! :D
    Jemma xx

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS