Wednesday, 8 April 2015

Rosemary and oatmeal cleansing mask


I don't know about you, but after spending a whole weekend devouring all sorts of naughty treats, my skin feels like it's ready for a little detox and some pampering...


I adore yet rarely find time for a face mask these days. What with spending the majority of my time working, the rest of it with friends and that little bit of time left keeping my home in ship shape, skincare tends to be a little rushed lately; and my skin is not amused. I have combination skin and I do tend to get the odd hormonal breakout, particularly if I have been stressed or simply burning the proverbial candle at both ends. (Early nights? What are those?) My skin has been a total pain the last few weeks and I figured it needed a bit of extra TLC.

I have dabbled in all sorts of skin care from high end to downright cheap and cheerful. What has topped them all? Simple tea tree oil. I use this whenever I do get those pesky blemishes and break outs and it really does work absolute wonders, so I have included this in the recipe. If I do fancy a face mask, my favourites would be from Lush or homemade as I much prefer the natural approach and ingredients as opposed to a mask packed with preservatives and harsh chemicals. 

Thus, with my lack of a nearby Lush and fancying a bit of a zen and balancing morning on my day off, I put together a few natural ingredients and created this little number...


Rosemary and Oatmeal cleansing mask

A few tablespoons of steel cut oats
A sprig of rosemary

(Blend these two in a blender or food processor until nicely ground)

1 tsp Lemon Juice
1-5 drops of tea tree oil*
2 tbsp raw honey
A little water to achieve the right consistency. 
(Not too thick and not so runny that it slides straight off!)

*(I used 5 because I like a really deep clean and I know it agrees with my skin. Be careful if you are new to using tea tree as it can be quite drying if you use too much.)

Mix these altogether and you will create a super cleansing, toning and moisturising mask all in one. Honey and oats are moisturising and balancing, tea tree, and rosemary are both antibacterial astringents and are deep cleansing. Lemon juice is of course, brightening, refreshing and antibacterial. Combined, these ingredients make a brilliant cleansing mask which doesn't overdry your skin and leaves it soft and of course, very clean. I would recommend you remove with a muslin cloth as it does dry quite hard! You will also want to apply a light or balancing moisturiser after this mask. I am currently using Nivea Oil Free Moisturising Day Cream which is perfect for my skin type.

So, if you need some time out after a busy bank holiday weekend and consuming far too much chocolate... mix yourself up one of these masks during a quiet moment, light some candles and have a little peace and quiet whilst doing your skin a big favour. I decided to pop a Yankee Candle Tart in my burner in the fragrance Wild Sea Grass, which is a really summery, fresh scent. If you practise mindful meditation, it would be a perfect opportunity to do so... it's not always easy finding time for yourself, but don't forget that a quiet 15 minutes can make a huge difference to the rest of your day.


Sayonara lovelies.

Let me know if you try this one out!

x

2 comments:

  1. love this, will give it a try! It's so much better to know what exactly you are applying to your skin! Thank you! xx
    www.emilyjanewebb.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I get about two hours to myself a week, between work and running after a smallie. I'd generally pick up a cheap face mask in work once in a blue moon, but I'd love to take a more natural approach to know what I'm putting on my skin. I'll have to keep this one in mind!

    Collette
    www.inkedhibiscus.com
    xo

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS